My first and foremost priority is, and has always been, the safety and well-being of my students. Period. With the alarming number of reports in the media of sexual misconduct, inappropriate behavior, and inappropriate relationships in just about every conceivable forum (Entertainment, government and schools), I have taken it upon myself to be proactive on the matter and establish a number of rules to guide our instructors and all that come to RSA. The list of rules, outlined below, are non-negotiable. I realize that at times the rules may result in an inconvenience to some of you, but I would humbly and respectfully ask you to remember that the rules will be in place and remain in place for the safety and well-being of all concerned.
All misconduct by anyone in the academy should be reported immediately to ANY staff member using all possible means necessary.
1. Anyone of the opposite sex, minors and all RSA instructors are never to be alone at the academy together [or alone in any rooms]. If a female/minor student, or parent find themselves at the academy alone with a male instructor, the female/minor student or parent must wait outside the dojo until another instructor or adult arrives. If a minor member arrives by themselves, parents are required to wait with their son or daughter before they leave until two adults arrive to the academy or Jiu-Jitsu related event. This is required as we do not want children waiting outside by themselves. The above policy extends beyond just the academy to: car rides, school activities and tournaments.
2. There is zero tolerance for any fraternizing between RSA instructors and female/minor students and parents. RSA Instructors are held to a higher standard and are prohibited from dating and corresponding with members and parents of the opposite sex. Furthermore, phone calls, text messages or communication through any other media such as social networks is specifically prohibited between instructors and students and parents of the opposite sex and all minors. This is to ensure that inappropriate interaction between staff members, parents and students are completely avoided.
3. In addition, women class correspondence should occur only through RSA Administrative Assistant [coach] Angela Yamashita at 286-7654. She can answer most questions regarding the women’s class [also available to answer any questions to kid parents] Specific concerns will be relayed by her directly to Ronn Shiraki.
We ask that communication from parents, members and guests are to be addressed in person at the academy or via contact page, text, phone call or email sent to Angela Yamashita. RSA manager, Justin Nihei is available to everyone through the same means. He can be reached by text at 778-7207. He will relay messages that need further information directly to Ronn Shiraki in a timely manner.
4. All members are required to change in the bathroom, shower room or locker room and keep the curtain or door closed at all times. If you are uncomfortable with changing in these areas we ask that you change in your car or at home. We will not allow members to dress for class in hallways or the outside areas [even if wearing clothing beneath gear]. Members and parents, unless assisting their children or taking class, are prohibited to enter the locker room prior to, during or after kids and women class sessions. All those who use the shower must enter and exit the shower fully clothed with tops and bottoms on.
5. Video taping and inappropriate conversations are not allowed between instructors and students.
6. Kids are prohibited from lounging, studying and playing in the Locker Room and must remain in eyesight of their parents at all times.
7. RSA has been built on 16 years of a lot of sacrifice, hard work, tears and, yes, blood. Our collective aim is to maintain the highest level of safety for everyone while growing and maintaining a reputation of excellence in professionalism.
All instructors, students and parents who have questions concerning these rules are encouraged to seek further explanation from one of our administration members.
Ronn Shiraki Academy
The Relson Gracie Ronn Shiraki Academy (RSA) is a small, low-key but highly advanced Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school located in the heart of Honolulu, Hawaii on the island of Oahu. We are dedicated instructors who strive to provide a pure "art" and soul martial arts environment with a focus on traditional methods of training.